Friday, February 13, 2009

WVIC 1MFT-E1 back-to-back connection

After I spoke with Stefano Messia days ago, I would try to connect back-to-back two WVIC 1MFT-E1 to emulate an analog PSTN Pri for testing and lab purposes.
(Altrough I'll start studying CCVP only on july 2009...)

First of all, I need a back-to-back Pri cable, I found this useful post by Conwyn Flavell on the Cisco Learning Network site and cabled a 10 cm ethernet cable with two Rj-45 connectors as follows:

1 RX Ring - -> 4 TX Ring -
2 RX Tip + -> 5 TX Tip +
4 TX Ring - -> 1 RX Ring -
5 TX Tip + -> 2 RX Tip +

When connected, both 1MFT-E1 cards have immediatly turned on the "CD" Carrier Detect light ;-)

The basic configuration to emulate a PSTN Pri will be:

on R1:
R1(config)#
!
isdn switch-type primary-qsig
!
controller E1 1/0/0
pri-group timeslots 1-31
!
interface Serial1/0/0:15
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
no logging event link-status
isdn switch-type primary-qsig
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn bchan-number-order ascending
no cdp enable
!

on R2:
R2(config)#
!
controller E1 1/0/0
clock source internal !-- the "pstn network" side must provide clock
pri-group timeslots 1-31
!
interface Serial1/0/0:15
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
no logging event link-status
isdn switch-type primary-qsig
isdn timer T310 120000
isdn protocol-emulate network !-- this is the PSTN-emulated site (the "network") ;-0
isdn incoming-voice voice
no cdp enable
!

that's all, after my CCIP, planned for mid-june 2009, I'll start some labs on CCVP, so stay tuned! (as usual)

8 comments:

Rupojit Dutta said...

good one

Syed Khalid Ali said...

Marco,

Good tutorial. Can you provide some hints to connect back-to-back BRI.

I have 2x2620 with NM-2V and I would like to use these with BRI interfaces for CVOICE exam.

Marco Rizzi said...

Hi Ali,
suddently there's no way to connect back-to-back BRI interfaces, I googled a little but seems that you need at least a PBX for D-channel signaling.

keep in touch, good study for your R&S preparation.

Marco

niko said...

Hi Marco,


It is a wonderful tutorial. It gives me some essential knowledge to setup my Cisco voice lab.

I am a CCNA, studying CCNP and CCNA Voice. Recently, I am recruiting some modules to upgrade my lab. Two NM-2V, 2 x VIC-2FXS and 2 x IP7960 are on the way, and two 2650XM with CME image as well.

Are those gears can help me to establish VoIP calls, or I have to buy some license? On Cisco website is saying it need some license for the IP phones and CME itself. Is it true? I am looking forwarding to hear from you.


Best regards,

Niko

nikohu@gmail.com

Marco Rizzi said...

Hi Niko,

I guess that CME license comes with the 2650XM since you have (hopfully) an original IOS image installed. Don't know anything about the phone license, but I guess there are no problems with your lab setup.

Take a look to blindhog site ( http://www.blindhog.net/how-to-build-a-voice-lab-with-gns3-and-vmware/ ) to grab ideas on how can you lab interact with GNS3 and VMWare ;-)

have fun with your studies
Marco

niko said...

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your advice. The link you recommended is great tutorial.

I figure the LIC I asked before. It is actually for Cisco Unified Communications Manager. The good news is Version 7 will come with dome demo licence, but I don't have a CCO account to download it, hehe~~

Niko

Sedoka said...

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your effort. There is not much information about this back-to-back connection. I used the same configuration in my 2610 router Links are up but ports not created so when I try to create destination pattern there is no port I can assign under it. Do you have any idea about why this happens?

Thanks.

Sefik

Marco Rizzi said...

Hi Sefik,
I guess 2610 doesn't support very well the MFT-E1 interfaces, try to configure less than 8 timeslots, then write your config and reload, but I'm not 100% sure this will work.
Also try to change IOS version, maybe it's just your release buggy on this.
cheers
Marco